If you've ever felt like you and your content are just a small fish in a big pond, you're not alone.
With so much noise online, it can be hard to get noticed – no matter how talented you are. But there is hope! By becoming micro-famous in your social media niche, you can build a loyal following and gain the attention of some of the most prominent players in your industry.
Here's how to get started…
Have the Right Goals
First, you need to realize the whole world doesn’t need to know who you are to be a highly successful influencer.
You only need the right people to know who you are.
If you’re a food critic and creator based out of Portland, you don’t need to be famous in every household in Portugal. However, being well-known to the right population can make all the difference in the world.
Luckily, being famous on a small scale is easier than you think!
Follow these tips to ensure that the right people know who you are:
1. Specialize. It’s easier to become well-known if you’re extremely good at something. It’s easier to be extremely good at something specific.
For example, keeping with our food critic example, you don’t want to be a general food critic. Maybe you specialize in trying and critiquing all locally sourced restaurants. Or perhaps you only review breakfast spots. The more niched down you are, the better, as the pool of other creators will be smaller.
2. Identify your target audience. Who are you trying to reach? What does your ideal follower look like? Are they a certain age? Male, female, or both? What income level do they have? What profession are they in? What hobbies do they have.
3. Be as detailed as necessary. It’s important to know who you’re trying to reach.
4. Avoid wasting your time with those who aren’t in your niche. If you realize you don’t need to reach people in a particular demographic, don’t make content geared toward them.
5. Rise above the noise. What does your audience need? What is the common problem or interest they all have? Center your message around this need or interest and your ability to solve or elaborate on it.
Noise is simply non-meaningful messaging. Be meaningful to your audience with what you create and post.
6. Become an authority. When people want to “be influenced,” they want an expert to do the influencing. But how does the average social media user spot an expert? They aren’t experts themselves, or they wouldn’t need you. Consider these ideas to be looked at as the expert:
7. Put content in front of ready-made audiences. Others already have the attention of the audience you want to reach. Figure out how to get in front of that audience. Collaborate with other creatives in your niche.
8. Post on a regular schedule. Staying consistent with your postings is important, so stick to a schedule. If you post every blue moon, your audience is less likely to view you as a voice of authority. If you truly are an expert in your niche, you have information to be shared, meaning you would need to post regularly to share said knowledge.
9. Make yourself a constant learner. To be an expert in any niche you need to expand your knowledge of your niche constantly. You need to be a perpetual student to stay up to the times with your niche. For example, if you are a fitness influencer that has never heard of intermittent fasting, you may not be seen as a true expert if someone in your audience slides into your DMs asking your opinion on the approach. Whatever your niche is, figure out how to constantly better your knowledge and increase your value.
10. Make friends with well-known experts in your fields. You can become famous by association. Collaborate with these experts. Pick their brains. Learn as much as you can.
Anyone who is truly great at what they do has taken the time to learn from the experts that have gone before them. There is something to be said for experience. Surround yourself with people one step ahead of you. If you like their success, figure out how to emulate it for yourself.
If you’re looking to build a career as a content creator, it’s important to think about how you can become famous within your niche. Although there are many paths to fame, the best way to start is by creating great content and engaging with your audience. With a little effort, you can achieve the level of fame you need to take your career to the next level. Want more tips on how to become niche famous online? Make sure to check out our new book, The Micro-Influencer’s Brand Partnership Bible. It’s packed with information on how to create successful partnerships with other brands and get exposure for your content. Thanks for reading!